INVEST IN MYSELF, INVEST IN OTHERS, INVEST IN OUR FUTURE
Innovative projects and initiatives, created by students for students, that support education, encourage involvement and showcase student success.
@ capscanada (Instagram) |#capscanada
CAPS Canada is a youth for youth organization created in response to the pandemic. Their mission is to assist secondary students and their families in their post-secondary research through informative student interviews.
- Sriya, Toronto, Ontario, grade 12
- Julia, Scarborough, Ontario, grade 12
- Ivy, Scarborough, Ontario, grade 12
- Sahithi, Mississauga, Ontario, grade 9
- Keyu, Scarborough, Ontario, grade 12
- Ariba, Mississauga, Ontario, grade 12
- Charlotte, Richmond Hill, Ontario, grade 10
- Vasilije, Mississauga, Ontario, grade 10
- Guo, Kitchener, Ontario, grade 11
- Tiana, Coquitlam, British Columbia, grade 11
- Mishael, Surrey, British Columbia, grade 12
- Abdur, Surrey, British Columbia, grade 12
- Yi, Scarborough, Ontario, grade 11
- Maggie, Scarborough, Ontario, grade 12
- Simon, Ottawa, Ontario, grade 11
@ edutechconnect (Instagram) |#edutechconnect
At EduTechConnect, we are a team of passionate post-secondary students that aim to reduce educational barriers. We are working on a project to create and facilitate digital literacy and technology workshops to families. Not only do we want to educate and provide resources to gain access (i.e tablets) but we also hope to inspire families with our unique student perspective through mentorship and community building within our small group workshops.
- Myera (University of Toronto)
- Sakina (Conestoga College)
- Basil (Conestoga College)
Volunteers needed: Five to seven volunteers needed for workshop facilitator speaking multiple languages and social media engagement coordinator.
Filipino Family Mentorship Program
@ fm.program (Instagram) |#fmprogram
Family Mentorship Program is an initiative that aims to connect Filipino high school students and their families to various STEM resources. This program was created for the mentors to share their post-secondary experiences, give insights as to what university life is like. We hope that this mentorship program will encourage students to pursue fields in STEM.
- Marian Vic Saab – Fourth Year Neuroscience Specialist, University of Toronto Mississauga
- Denise Nicole Sacramento – Fourth Year Biology and Psychology Major, University of Toronto Mississauga
- John Vargas – Fourth Year Psychology Specialist, University of Toronto Mississauga
- Eugene Juanane – Fourth Year Molecular Biology Specialist, University of Toronto Mississauga
Volunteers needed: 2 volunteers who have experience in product design (for stickers, merchindise)
Let’s Talk Careers Today
@letstalkcareerstoday (Instagram) | #LTCT | Youtube: Let’s Talk Careers Today https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCazU-bPFliSEyF2T66H1iIw
Let’s Talk Careers Todays uses video interviews to share the experiences of recent graduates who have found work in their field of study. These are shared to encourage and educate high school and post-secondary students about future career paths by hearing first-hand experiences.
- Rebecca Konadu-Bruce, Toronto, ON, George Brown College/Ryerson University
- Youyou Xu, Toronto, ON, University of Toronto – Missisauga
- Vivian Lam, Toronto, ON, Western University
- Charlotte, Richmond Hill, ON, High School – grade 10
- Cindy, Twillingate, Newfoundland, High School – grade 10
- Brendan Woo, Toronto, ON, Ryerson University
- Dilshan Marasinghe, Etobicoke, ON, Humber College
Volunteers needed: Outreach officer needed to recruit recent graduates for interviews.
My Neighbourhood Post
@myneighbourhoodpost (Instagram) | #cdnpoli #onpoli #youthpolitics
My Neighbourhood Post is a publication run by and for youth. The aim of this initiative is to provide local youths the space to hone their writing and research skills while also introducing their views into the wider political discourse through art, journalism and activism.
- Nicolas Kaiser (graduate in political science)
- Abhishek, Mississauga, Grade 9
- Lee, Toronto, Grade 9
- Cindy, Newfoundland, Grade 10
- Mishthi, Brampton, Grade 9
- Wayne, Toronto, Grade 10
Volunteers needed: Writing, researching, marketing, editing. If interested, DM on Instagram @myneighbourhood post.
Pass the Pen
@ letspassthepen (Instagram) | #passthepen
Helping younger people grow as individuals by providing encouragement and sharing positive messages, helpful tips, and personal experiences.
- Aqsa, University of Toronto Mississauga
- Bavina, University of Toronto Mississauga
- Janvi, University of Toronto Mississauga
- Jedavee, University of Toronto Mississauga
- Tanvi, University of Toronto Mississauga
Volunteers needed: Help others while developing yourself personally and professionally.
Current student or recent graduate; Content Creation, Marketing, Outreach, DM us on Instagram at @letspassthepen or email us at email@example.com
Sounds in Isolation
@soundsinisolation (Instagram) | @SoundsinIsolation (Facebook)
Many seniors, cancer patients, and children are socially, and physically distancing, I wanted to help those who have contributed so much to our society in the past through music therapy. These concerts feature classical music, and give context of the musical history of the pieces, and the composers. I was also able to donate 10 Amazon tablets, and tablet cases to two retirement homes: Alexis Lodge, and St Clair O’Connor Community Long Term Care.
- Savannah, Grade 10 Branksome Hall
- Nathan Lam, 2nd year Queen’s University
- Cassandra Lobo, 2nd year Queen’s University
- Artur Chakhmakhchyan
- Timothy Lam (Western University)
- Jason Lobo (McGill University)
- Liam Noronha
- Royce Richert (Royal Conservatory of Music’s Glenn Gould Schoo)
- Naoko Sakata (Graduate student, McGill University)
- Kanon Shibata
- Thomas Torok (Royal Conservatory of Music’s Glenn Gould School)
- Chihiro Yasufuku (University of Toronto)
- Ellis Yuen-Ripati
Volunteers needed: virtual music concert editor, outreach role (contact retirement homes), contact performers
STEM it UP
@stem.it.up (Instagram) | #STEM
Encouraging STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) learning among Canadian middle and high school students through fun and interactive events, activities and videos.
- Alyssa Alcantara, Brampton, ON, 3rd year kinesiology student at the University of Guelph-Humber
- Samuel Reano, Toronto, ON, 2nd year mathematics student at Ryerson University
- Sravani Manda, Mississauga, ON, 3rd year Molecular Biology student at the University of Toronto Mississauga
- Reem Amin, Mississauga, ON, 3rd year Biology student at the University of Toronto Mississauga
- Sofia Pereira, Brampton, ON, 4th year Biology student at the University of Toronto Mississauga
- Shanza Ayub, Mississauga, ON, 1st year Computational Biology in Molecular Genetics PhD Student at University of Toronto and Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute
- Yara, Toronto, ON, 7th grade
@lgttech4all (Instagram) | @LTech4all (Twitter) | #lgttech4all / #tech4all
We are a group of students working towards fulfilling the need of technology in our communities. Since many more people are working remotely and attending school online, lack of technology has become a vital issue. To combat that, we collect donated computers, reimage them and donate them to families in need of technology.
- Jiya, Turner, Brampton, ON – Grade 10
- Jasnoor, Brampton, ON – Grade 10
- Areez, Brampton, ON – Grade 10
- Joshua, Brampton, ON – Grade 10
- Harini, Brampton, ON – Grade 10
- Ishrat, Brampton, ON – Grade 9
“The great growling engine of change – Technology” – Alvin Toffler
The Check In
The Check In welcomes all first-year post-secondary students across Canada to join us, lay back, relax and make some new friends! Our goal is for students to enjoy some time away from online learning through a variety of engaging, fun events.
- Emahnee Cover, Mississauga, Queen’s University, 1st year
- Gurveer Kaur, Mississauga, University of Toronto Mississauga, 1st year
- Ridhi Sharma, Mississauga, Ryerson University, 1st year
- Suhavi Kaur, Brampton, University of Toronto Mississauga, 1st year
Volunteers needed: 2-3 volunteers from ages 17 – 20 to join The Check In team.
Please DM us on instagram @the._check_in or email us LGTthecheckin@gmail.com if you are interested!
@kandidvision_media | @dilshan_tm |#video | #documentary | #tech4all | #reachingout
Our group is illustrating the storyline for how devices journey from corporate/fortunate owners to the less fortunate. Those who struggle to obtain a device to learn should be given an opportunity to have the knowledge readily available. It’s become a basic human right.
- Karim Ebrahim , Mississauga, ON, University of Toronto Mississauga Graduate of CCIT Program
- Dilshan Marasinghe, Toronto, ON, Humber College, 3rd Year Technology Engineering
Volunteers needed: 6 – writers, narrators, camera person, lights expert, audio expert, editor